Monday, July 30, 2012

Hiya Hiya, New Friends

Say hello to my new little friends! (Please ignore the fact that blogger insists on making these pictures upside down.)




So I started making mini Strawberry Market Bags, and very, very, VERY, very quickly ran into a problem. My fail-proof plan of halving everything fell apart because I couldn't get smaller than 29" circulars from the craft store trifecta (Jo-ann's, Hobby Lobby, and Michael's) unless I went to bamboo, and me and bamboo's are not on friendly terms. So I decided it was time to make an investment in a good circular set. A night of research later, I was off to a local-ish yarn shop that Hiya Hiya's website said carried their products.

 Now I had every intention of just getting the small set of Hiya Hiya interchangeable steel needles. (It's never good when you start a paragraph like that.) This contains size 2-8 needles plus 16", 24", 36", and 40" cables in a cute brocade bag. I will readily admit I wanted the navy blue bag, and I could have saved a couple of bucks by buying online, BUT I couldn't find a site that let you choose the bag color. I really didn't want to end up with the red or purple bags. I was also looking to purchase a #9 needle as that is what I am currently knitting on, and really needed the most, but I also needed #5 and #7. I generally like the way smaller stitches come out.

When I got to the store they only had one set of each the large and small for the Hiya Hiya in the turquoise bag. The turquoise is really lovely, and when your choice is fish (meaning there is no choice) it's the only other color I would have accepted. They didn't carry anything else of Hiya Hiya aside from these 2 kits, so no spare cables or single needles. Buying both sets put this into Addi territory, and the woman at the shop was fairly adamant that I should buy the Addi's for the same price. I got to play with both the Addi's and Hiya Hiya's before I made a choice at least. I didn't like the Addi's because they were longer, didn't create a smooth join where they click together, and you got less needles (4-15 minus a 10.5) and no 16" cable. Both Hiya Hiya sets gave 2-15, with 10.5, 2 cases, and double the cables for the same price. I like the idea that I can have a travel set with the needle sizes I'm working with, and leave the main set at home. Hiya Hiya's pouch is very compact.

I have been knitting with them for a day and love them. They screw on, so there is a risk that they will unscrew, but I haven't seen any indication of that. I didn't use the rubber tighteners that came with the needles to see how they work. I love that the cord swivels at the bottom, so it doesn't kink up and and doesn't unscrew trying to untwist the kinks. They are more blunt that the Velocity's I have been using, but that hasn't been an issue yet getting into stitches. Also my fingers love them. No more stabbing while I push, and they weigh less. Most important of all....


I can have #9, 16" circulars! Hooray!






No comments:

Post a Comment